We continue our series celebrating the Greenway’s water fountains with this week’s featured fountain:
This week’s water fountain is located in Riverside Park South near 61st Street, directly across from New York Central #8625.
The fountain is shaped in a graceful arch, features a matching stepping stone for its shorter patrons, and delivers cool drinking water at just the right rate.
Its locomotive neighbor, an Alco S-1, is displayed as a monument to the area’s history as a rail yard.
It is interesting to note that this locomotive was never actually owned or operated by the New York Central. It was sold new to the Erie Railroad in 1946 (later the Erie Lackawanna), and then in 1967 went on to work the Brooklyn Eastern District Terminal (later the New York Cross Harbor). The NY Times published an article about its restoration and installation in the park back in 2006.